Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blog 8: Bringing it all Together-Final Reflection by Melissa Rife

Blog 8: 3/31/11

I was really excited to read this book at the beginning of the semester. I was hoping to really examine ideas and strategies about students who live in SES neighborhoods. Well, it turns out that this book really took the viewpoint of the principal and what he/she should do as leader of a school in a low SES neighborhood. Although, I did value learning about networking community connections, professional expectations, finding the right people and managing performance, I would liked to have known more about my role as a teacher working in a SES neighborhoods or schools.  I think the part that will resonate with me is the importance of school readiness and how students that come from low SES neighborhoods will be lacking important skills needed to start school but that it doesn’t mean they can’t learn.
1. In what ways have you examined fundamental beliefs about diverse learners with respect to learning and teaching?
* While reading Poverty is Not a Learning Disability I examined several fundamental beliefs. These we some of the beliefs that I felt were absolutely important as a teacher and a continuing learner. Students’ that come from low SES neighborhoods should not be an indication that they can not learn. As teachers we must be proactive in our job with strategies that will help students from low SES backgrounds to flourish. A strong home –school connection is imperative for achievement. The attitude that one carries is visible to the students as well as colleagues therefore it should be a positive one.
2. How or in what ways have you reframed your perspectives on diversity with intent to inform future practice?
* I have always believed and said that all students have the right to the best and appropriate education. I don’t think believing and saying that is enough anymore. Too many students are being dealt with in an inconsistent representation due to their cultural background. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to ensure that all students learn. I must be proactive with my approaches and strategies in class and infuse diversity within community.
3. What do you know now that you didn’t before? How might you incorporate this knowledge in your teaching?
* The tragedy that becomes reality in this book is a teachers’ lack of understanding of poverty, the role they play in learning disability referrals and the cost of misidentifying children as learning disabled. Those three things combined broadened my awareness of what can happen when educators don’t have a firm understanding of poverty. I know now that part of my role as an educator is to talk about poverty fellow teachers and strategies that we can apply so students can be successful.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I agree with what you said in your immediate reflection. Not enough was said about we the teachers, there was too much emphasis on the building administrators, although in the Introduction it talks about how the book is geared towards principals and administrators.

    Great response to number 2, sounds like something out of a textbook. I completely agree that all students have a right to learn (which they legally do!), even though some teachers may overlook certain students for one reason or another. Great thoughts on question 3, raising awareness to educator flaws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last post was posted by Brendan! Forgot to mention...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    I'm glad we're all on the same page about the book. It was very informative for teachers, but i wish that the whole book had been targeted towards teachers, and not administrators, although some things were interesting.
    I agree with your comment about 'teacher's misunderstanding about poverty' and its affects on students. As teacher we need to educate our selves more so that we can give these students the education they deserve.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete