Monday, March 7, 2011

BLOG 6 "Iceberg! Dead Ahead!" - Stephanie Esposito

Blog 6 - Chapters 9&10
Literary Luminator & Vocabulary Vitalizer
Stephanie Esposito

((Literary Luminator))
Passage 1: “We’re absolutely convinced that school personnel, faculty, and staff alike, like competitive athletes, want to be as effective as possible in the results of their work” (p. 105).

This passage made me think about a time when I was subbing and the day had gone totally wrong. I left the building that day questioning whether or not I wanted to be a teacher. This day was on my mind for days to follow and I continued to reflect and think about how I would have done things differently. It was then that I realized my passion for teaching and the fact that I was so upset about the day made me realize that there is nothing else I would rather be than a teacher. This experience made me connect with this passage because I want to be as effective as possible and have a life-long, positive impact on my students.


Passage 2: “You must communicate your expectations in clear, specific terms” (p. 115).

This passage was discussed in the book for administrative purposes, but the connection I made to it was from a teacher’s point of view. I think that in a classroom, teachers need to be very clear of what they expect from their students at all times. If students know what their teacher’s expect, there are no gray areas and it allows students to set a goal that they can word towards.


Passage 3: “To get your education program from where it is to where you want it to be, you have to make your goals and the pathway to them visible to your faculty and staff” (p. 121).

I am a huge goal setter. Whether it’s what I want to accomplish by the end of the day, semester, lesson or year, I think it is important to set goals. As teachers, it is a good idea to set classroom goals for your students and yourself. I think it is also important to teach your students how to set goals and how to achieve their goals. Goals can be a good motivator in your classroom and can promote student learning, student achievement, and ultimately, student success.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I agree with your choices of quotes and your personal feedback on them. Communicating clearly and setting goals are two essential parts of a great teacher and effective classroom.

    Melissa R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Passage 2 is huge. Clear expectations can, and will, make any classroom run smoothly. Consistency is the key, and fairness. Too often students complain about other students doing this wrong, or that, but if the expectations are laid out and reminded to students consistently, the classroom will run much more smoothly. It's the little things that make the big things work out.

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete