Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog 3- Strategies, Techniques and Effective Communication


Chapters 3 & 4
Melissa Rife- Idea Illustrator and Essence Extractor

Understanding with pictures

Passage 1
“Like all interpersonal relationships, positive teacher-student relationships don’t just happen. They take real effort to develop and constant attention to maintain over time.” (p.34)


 




 Passage 2
“Parent involvement serves to promote children’s adaptation to school and significantly reduces behavior problems and school failure” (p. 56)
The video clip I chose shows interview with students discussing ways that parents can be involved in school. I think its great to see the child’s perspective of their own parents. The video length is about 10 minutes but worth watching.

Parent Involvement in schools Part I

Passage 3
“A key element to in communication is the quality of the relationship between the message sender and the message receiver. The more comfortable the communicators are with each other the more effective their communication is.” (p. 66)
This quote from the reading came from the section about the importance of communication between teacher and parent. But really this quote and image relates to teacher, parent and student. I thought this image really captured the idea that effective and meaningful communication would have many threads.



Essence Extractor: Thinking is not driven by answers but by questions.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I think all of the passages you took from the text are vital. I especially like the first two because I believe that as a teacher we need to put forth that extra effort all the time to get to know our students and create meaningful relationships with them. From what I have read in our book so far, I also agree with your second passage in that teachers also need to put effort into creating a relationship with parents so that our students can work up to their full potential.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Great connections and video clip, it reflects all your passages. I love seeing clips with so much student involvement. I love the honesty of the children, it helps to just hear the truth from the "clients" of an educator. Also, great essence statement!! I had to read it about 10 times before it really clicked in my head... deep!

    Awesome job!
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete