Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brendan's Self Assessment

Taking a look at my scores on the Scale for Assessing My Life Experiences doesn't come as a suprise to me.  My accumulated points were only 76, out of a possible 160 points.  This total puts me (though not by much) into the category of "slightly multicultural".

During my upbringing, I didn't have much exposure to both people with special needs and students of different ethnicities, so again, the totals don't come as a suprise to me.  I didn't know I wanted to work in the Rochester City School District until I started learning more about it during my first years in college.  Learning the statistics and bad reputation the students and teachers had accrued, I came to the realization if I wanted to make a real difference, this was the place to do it.  

Since my undergraduate graduation in June of 2008, I have been actively in working with both inner city students and students with special needs.  My first two years of teaching I was a General Music teacher with Wilson Foundation Academy, and also an adjunct professor at Genessee Community College for students with special needs in music.  Last year, I was a music teacher with Northeast College Preparatory School, and an active employee of Lifetime Assistance, an agency that works direct care for people with special needs.  

To wrap up, my early upbrining was somewhat isolating from the rest of the world as far as culture and disabilities are concerned.  However, once I became aware of the issues and potential for growth within the teaching profession, I knew I had to begin a shift in my music teaching career to better suit the needs of my mental "calling" in life. 

3 comments:

  1. Brendan,
    We have definitely had a very similar upbringing in the sense of isolation so it's nice to have someone to relate to. Your involvement with the City School District is great, and what's even better is your desire to make a difference. I also find it very cool that you worked with students who have special needs in the field of music. Keep working at your "calling in life" and you're going to make a great, positive impact on your students.
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan,
    Although my upbringing differs from you and Stephanie, I feel that you and I had a similar calling early in our career. We both knew of our passion of wanting to make a change where the change was really needed. I also feel that music is so important for children especially the little ones. We need more people like you specializing in these important subjects. I can't wait to hear more about your experiences and believe your presence will make changes.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendan,
    You bring rich experiences to your practice!
    Prof

    ReplyDelete